Thursday, October 13, 2011

"Vuelvo al sur"

Gotan Project - Vuelvo al sur (2001)

French, Argentinean, and Swiss musicians come together in Paris to make 'dance' tango.



This is a blend of traditional Argentine musical instruments and modern sequencers and effects. Besides guitar and percussion, the dominant instrument is a bandoneón. It is a large concertina. They have a lot of echo effect on it. Reminds me of trip hop actually. The singer that comes in mid way through the song is so smooth. Her voice is low and smokey and world traveled. I can't tell if she reminds me of Edith Piaf because she really sounds like her, or if I just don't listen to enough mature non English singing women.

The break beats in the song actually work for me here. I know I've been fairly dismissive of dance music, so I'm not sure if it works for me here because the music is 'Hispanic' so I'm willing to cut it some slack; or if it works for me because it is more subtle, letting the acoustic instruments shine through more.

No comments:

Post a Comment