Monday, August 29, 2011

"Untitled"

Interpol - Untitled (2002)

Surprise, sometimes, will come around.



I don't know a lot about Interpol. They were really active in the New York indie scene around the same time as The Strokes, and I was a big fan of The Strokes, so I know the singles, but not really any of the other cuts off the albums. That being said, I never would have guessed that this song was Interpol. This sounds like shoegaze. Very brief lyrics, reverb heavy guitar that never stops, etc.

I'm not even sure what else to say. They song is a tone poem more than a pop song, an experiment in texture and feeling. The guitar sound that starts in around 2:30 and runs out almost to the end of the song puts me in mind of an air raid siren. The book describes the earlier guitar sound that you hear throughout as "dive-bombing" so I think the editors were in the same hearing space I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment