Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Lagrimas negras"

Trio Matamoros - Lagrimas negras (1928)



Simple harmonies, two guitars, and hand held percussion. This Cuban song is said to be one of the earlist version of the bolero fusion style bolero-son. This is the style of music related to the ballroom dance style Rumba. There appears to be quite a difference between Afro Cuban Rumba, Rumba music and ballroom dance rumba, but this is not the kind of blog that can clear that up for you.

I don't think the song makes me want to dance. I find that the song makes me a little contemplative. Lagrimas negras means black tears by the way. The opening is a very driving rhythm, almost puts me in the mind of some Johnny Cash tunes. Then the vocals come in and it becomes a hot summer day. Everyone standing in the shade waiting for the heat of the day to subside so that they can be on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment