Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Allons a Lafayette"

Joe & Cleoma Falcon - Allons a Lafayette (1928)


Well, third song in a book of 1001 and I don't know it. I'm sure there will be more.



The recording quality is not stellar, and I don't know what they are singing about other than come to Lafayette (thank you very much David Tennant)but this is the prototypical Cajun/zydeco song. I don't hear a female voice, so I guess Cleoma didn't sing. I'm hearing some accordion that is, like I said, zydeco. The song is not as raucous as modern "New Orleans" music, but would not at all be out of place in the background of a scene set in The Big Easy. The title though refers to Lafayette Louisiana, a city 150 miles west. The book claims it is the first recording of Cajun music, and was surprisingly popular. There are many covers out there, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment