Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Summertime Blues"

Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues (1958)

Everything on Youtube is live, so we're going to try viddler.



I always loved this song as a kid. It was the deep bass vocals. It wasn't until I was a little older that I understood what the song was even about. It was just a funny song with a deep voice to me. As a teenager the song seemed written for me. I think a lot of people feel that way, it was covered by The Who, Alan Jackson, The Beach Boys and Olivia Newton John among others. The book rightfully points out that this was a pretty rebellious song for 1958. He doesn't want to work all summer; he wont work late, and even his congressman admits that he is being ignored because he is too young to vote.

The song is simple, rockabilly guitars, driving bass, hand claps as percussion, and a vocal with that little catch on summertime that blends the Country with the new Rock and Roll. I really do love the "grown-up" voice. It's always saying the downer part of the story, but it always makes me laugh. That's nostalgia for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment