Monday, September 5, 2011

"Quelqu'un ma dit"

Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un ma dit (2002)

Yes, that Carla Bruni, First Lady of France. She married President Nicolas Sarkozy in 2008. This release is from her first album in 2002.


It's a simple beautiful song. Starting with nothing but guitar and very blessedly unproduced vocals, it slowly adds a very subtle piano for lower chords, a brief violin and another guitar. The kind of song most people think they can pick up on guitar in a couple of hours, but the real challenge lies in trying to reproduce that voice. It is one that has known things, and has strength and humor, yet the song itself is a plea. Someone told me that you loved me still, is that still possible?

This is not a song for a bright summer day people. It makes me long for hot chocolate and a fire. And a warm blanket. And someone to tell me that they love me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment