Monday, January 30, 2012

"I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor"

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor (2005)

"...I'm me and nobody else, whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not, because they don't know a bloody thing about me..." Sillitoe, Alan. Saturday Night, and Sunday Morning. United Kingdom, W. H. Allen Ltd.,1958



Fast and angry sounding, the song is actually kind of a modern love song. They vocals sound angry but he's actually wooing a woman without actually trying to sound like he's wooing a woman. If you see what I'm getting at. Maybe it would help if you knew that lead singer, guitarist, and songwriter Alex Turner was 19 when the song came out. He mentions the year1984 and the Duran Duran song Rio, which are both from before he was before. Before the whole band was born. Of course he also references Romeo and Juliet, which is before all of us were born. Musically I love the speed of the drums, the infrequent yelled harmony and the intensity of everything. They're not virtuosos on this debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, though there is a good guitar solo at the beginning; all four members of the band did not play instruments when they decided to start a band. Two years after that they had there first full length album. After the guitar solo it's very basic playing, but they play with such enthusiasm and the lyrics are smart, so it's hard to to give them a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment