Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"The Bomb (These Sounds Fall into My Mind)"

The Bucketheads - "The Bomb (These Sounds Fall into My Mind)" (1995)

The title itself is a mondegreen.  The actual lyric is: /Street sounds swirling through my mind/ (Wolinski)



Imagine your surprise when I tell you that I can't stand this song. This seems to be some of the least creative sampling, looping, and adding of any dance song I've ever heard. Based almost entirely on Chicago's "Street Player" on their universally panned Chicago 13 I can hear almost nothing that doesn't come straight from that 1979 critical and commercial flop. The drums that sound like a trash can being played too loud over a decent Latin dance beat while a 60's era "red alert" type sound plays are new. So credit to that can go to Kenny "Dope" Gonzalez who was 100% of The Bucketheads. The vocals are Peter Cetera of Chicago, the horns are other members of the Rock/Jazz fusion group. The song was already a disco song for the band, so the dance beat is not even new. I don't really care for the original track by Chicago, but at least it is that, original.

No comments:

Post a Comment